Tuesday, August 7, 2007

Who Is My Mother?

Adult women are often brought up short when they realize, through something they have said or done, "I sound just like my mother." At times this can be a moment of joy and pride; most often, however, it is a moment of consternation. Always it should be moments of self-awareness--we, as women, are not as autonomous as we would like to think we are. As Coki Roberts proclaims, in the title of her book, "We Are Our Mother's Daughters." In the context of this blog we are exploring what it means to be daughters of our mothers Hagar and Sarah.
As a Christian woman I have been taught that I should claim my lineage through Sarah.
In the introduction to the book, Letty and Phyllis succinctly, yet powerfully, explain how this mistaken notion was handed down to me through generations of Christian mothers. The fable I was taught was—‘Sarah was the chosen of God, we (Christians) are the chosen of God, and therefore Sarah is our mother.’
Like many fables that perpetuate the myths of power and privilege, this fable is much too simplistic. It does not reflect the complexity of the story and the, scant, but telling history of Hagar and Sarah.

What would change in your perspective and experience if you claimed both Hagar and Sarah as your mothers?
• If you claimed both Hagar and Sarah as God's chosen ones?
• If you claimed a dis-unified family as your family of origin? ("By the command of God, a single family has become two families, one living with the father and the other, apart from him. pp. 3)

No comments: